Imagine Your Story
Licking County Library’s goal is for your child to have an enjoyable and meaningful experience with the Library this summer. We invite you to Imagine Your Story through reading, play and hands-on exploration. With engaging reading challenges, fun incentives and virtual programs, a world of wonder and fantasy awaits! Follow LCL on Facebook and Instagram, visit our online calendar for details on virtual programming and ways to watch. Last, but certainly not least, thank you to Friends of the Licking County Library for sponsoring the 2020 program and The Energy Cooperative Operation Round Up Foundation for sponsoring the completion award!
We reimagined our Summer Library program to provide you with three unique ways to participate this year:
- Pick-up a Reading tracker at a Summer Station located on the outside of the main entrance of all LCL locations (including the 24-Hour Kiosks)
- Print off a copy here
- Make your own reading tracker using stickers, crayons, paper chains, Lego stacking---whatever you have available to you! Use our tracker as your model to set your six reading benchmarks and to create your Raffle Prize Selection List.
Return your Reading Tracker (Due July 25):
- Drop-off your Reading Tracker at a Summer Station location on the outside of the main entrance of all LCL locations (including the 24-Hour Kiosks)
- Email a scan or photo of your Reading Tracker and Grand Prize Selection List to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ready. Set. Read!
Help Little Red Riding Hood deliver books to her fairy tale friends as she makes her way to Grandmother’s house.
- Color or mark a space for every 20 minutes spent reading between June 1 and July 25, 2020. You can also listen to a book if you prefer!
- Collect a raffle ticket for grand prizes at every new fairy tale character you meet.
- Once you make it to Grandma’s house, you’ll receive a completion award. Congratulations! You read 600 minutes or 10 hours.
- Return grand prize tickets by Saturday, July 25 either to a LCL Library or email an image of your completed tracker to email@example.com. Winners are drawn on Monday, July 27.
Grand Prizes and Selection List
Complete a ticket for a grand prize each time you reach a reading benchmark. Only one grand prize can be selected per ticket. You can enter for any of the prizes you wish and you can enter for a prize more than once! Winner announced on Monday July 27. To see the amazing prizes and to fill our your selections, click here.
In order to ensure the safety of our customers during the 2020 Pandemic, we have moved our programming online. It can be viewed on our YouTube account. While we know you love to come into our libraries and enjoy our performers in person, we think this way will be fun too! You can watch from the comfort of your home at a time that is convenient for your family. Look for details on program availability on our website as well as our Facebook and Instagram accounts.
- View Imagine Your Story: Didgeridoo Down Under on our YouTube channel. Learn about the didgeridoo and Australia during the energetic performance from Rob Thomas.
- View Imagine Your Story: West African Rhythm with Drumming and Dance on YouTube. Get a energetic glimpse of West Africa with Sogbety Diomande, a native of the Ivory Coast, through drumming and dance, colorful costumes, musical instruments, rhythms and songs. This interactive performance is sure to engage and delight all audiences!
- View Imagine Your Story: Paper Cranes with Yasue Sakaoka. Join Yasue Sakaoka, a Columbus-based origami sculpture artist, as you learn about the Legend of a Thousand Origami Cranes. Participants learn the story of Sadako, an 11-year-old girl who tried to fold a thousand paper cranes. On our YouTube Channel now!
Free Summer Meals
Starting June 1, all youth through age 18 are eligible for FREE summer meals at the Downtown Newark library location. Each child receives five breakfasts and five lunches. Meals are given out every Monday, no questions asked. Youth or their caregivers can pick meals up in front of the Downtown Newark Library doors. Please note: Meals are given on a first come, first served bases and are limited. Pick up dates are as follows: June 1, 8, 15, 22, 29; July 6, 13, 20, 27; August 3, 10