Letter Knowledge includes learning that letters have names, are different from each other, have upper and lower case “shapes,” and that specific sounds go with specific letters.
An example of letter knowledge is a child's ability to tell the name of the letter B and what sound it makes.
Fun ways to learn letter knowledge:
- Point out and name letters in alphabet books, picture books or on signs and labels.
- Pick a “letter of the day” and look for it everywhere you go.
- Look at and talk about different shapes. Shape identification is a great first step for children who are too young to learn letters.
- Notice different types of letters (“a” or “A”) on signs and in books.
- Talk about and draw the letters of your child's name either in crayon or in the sand.
- Use magnetic letters or letters made of foam or flannel available to “play” with.
- Play matching games such as alike and different.
Preschool Story Time
10:00 AM @ Downtown Newark - Lower Level Story Time Room
Read engaging books, sing songs, and participate in early literacy activities designed especially for your preschooler.
Family Make and Take
10:00 AM @ West Newark (Emerson R. Miller)
Imagine, create and participate! Children engage in a variety of hands-on activities that include making fun, seasonal crafts, exploring STEAM activities, and/or creating one-of-a-kind masterpieces.
Email Basics - Google Gmail
10:30 AM @ Downtown Newark - Upper Level Conference Room
Learn the basics of email using Google Gmail on both laptop and desktop computers and mobile devices. Explore the ins and outs of creating, reading, replying, forwarding, CC/BCC, attachments, signatur...
Family Story Time - Hebron Branch
10:30 AM @ Hebron
Enjoy stories, songs and activities for the whole family.
Little Tot's Story Time
11:00 AM @ Johnstown (Mary E. Babcock)
Bring your little one for a fun morning of stories, songs and socializing! This story time caters to kids with short attention spans.