Licking County History
Explore our extensive collection of local history materials. Browse through over 500 files, uncover the history of your home using the Newark Historic Buildings Inventory or dig into the past with microfilm. Additional resources include yearbooks, veteran history, family histories, maps, Licking County Library’s Wiki, newspaper clippings, online research tools and books.
Licking County Library has a plethora of resources on local history! If you are looking for specific information, just send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Library also has a number of digital images and files pertinent to local history available through both Internet Archive and Ohio Memory.
We offer a variety of tours conducted both in-person and independently.
GPS-Guided Tours: We created FREE self-guided tours that are available to download on your phone through the app PocketSights. The tours are curated, with the Licking County community in mind, to showcase some of the important, unique and historical points of interest of our county. Our goal is to provide you with an authentic experience that gives you confidence and direction to explore and discover the places around you while learning about local history and culture.
Our Local History Coordinator is eager to guide you or your group on a tour. Call 740.349.5571 or email email@example.com to learn more about options.
Licking County Library is happy to present to arrange a local history presentation or walking tour. To schedule or inquire, contact our Local History Coordinator at 740.349.5571 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Great Buckeye Lake Historical Society was founded in 1995 and opened a museum for its community in 1998. Thier goal is to preserve the historical record of the Lake, including the Amusement Park, the Ohio Canal, the Interurban, the National Trail, the early pioneers and early boaters. The museum houses a large collection of Buckeye Lake Park memorabilia.
- Licking Valley Heritage Society is non-profit organization situated in Hanover. First started in 2005, their mission is to preserve, embrace and share the heritage of the Greater Licking Valley Area. Their vision is to display artifacts, antiques, photographs and literature in order to educate children and keep its history alive.
- Johnstown Historical Society is a non-profit organization that supports, encourages and provides historical education and preservation for the Johnstown community. They are committed to researching the history of Johnstown, and collecting, preserving and exhibiting objects and documents from the past. Licking County Library's Johnstown (Mary E. Babcock) location houses many historic artifacts, a glimpse into pictorial history with an interactive touch-screen of photos and vintage postcards as well as a watercolor gallery of pieces created by Ohio artist Robert Brubaker.
- Licking County Genealogical Society is housed at Licking County Library's Downtown Newark location. They offer a plethora of information including family history, marriage, birth and death records. For additional information, email them directly at email@example.com.
- Licking County Historical Society is a source for historical research for Licking County, having a comprehensive research library available to the community.
- Ohio History Connection is a statewide history organization with the mission to spark discovery of Ohio’s stories. They carry out history services for Ohio and its citizens focused on preserving and sharing the state’s history. This includes housing the State Historic Preservation Office, the official state archives and the Community Engagement Department and managing more than 50 sites and museums across Ohio.