Narrative Skill refers to a child’s ability to describe things, events and tell stories.
Strong narrative skills will help your child’s reading comprehension when they begin reading independently.
An example of a narrative skill is a child's ability to tell what happens at a birthday party or on a trip to the zoo. Help your child strengthen their narrative skills by asking them to tell you about a book you're reading to them, instead of just listening to you.
Fun ways to learn narrative skills:
- Ask open-ended questions that encourage conversations rather than yes, no or right, wrong answers.
- Give your child time to respond. The average time needed for a young child to formulate a response to a complex question is 10-15 seconds.
- Have children describe what is happening in a picture.
- Read stories without words or wordless books, and once they are familiar with the book, ask your child to tell you the story.
- Ask children to make predictions about the story.
- Ask your child to tell you about things they have done or will do that involve a regular sequence of steps: getting ready for school, what your family did/will do on vacation, how to play a particular game, etc.
Onsite Help/Ask a Techspert - Utica
10:00 AM @ Utica (Hervey Memorial)
Do you have a question about technology? Drop by or schedule an appointment about your laptop, smartphone, tablet, Kindle, software or other technology needs. Call 740.349.5509 today!
FREE Tax Preparation
12:30 PM @ Downtown Newark - Meeting Room A
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program uses IRS-certified volunteers to prepare and e-file federal, state and school district tax returns for income-eligible citizens, at no cost to them. ...
3:30 PM @ Bookmobile
Reddington Condos 3:30-4:00Eden Community Center 4:30-5:00Shalimar 5:15-5:45Marne 6:00-6:30
Parent Table Talk Series: Communication Stategies for Parents of Teens
5:30 PM @ Downtown Newark - Lower Level Story Time Room
LCL is thrilled to partner with Nationwide Children's Hospital to bring one of their PREP workshops on helping parents of teens better communicate. The Personal Responsibility Education Program (PREP)...
AARP Tax Assistance - Johnstown
10:00 AM @ Johnstown (Mary E. Babcock)
AARP professionally trained volunteers to prepare federal, state and local tax returns for low and middle-income taxpayers, with special attention to those sixty and older. You need to bring a photo I...