Phonological Awareness is the ability to hear and manipulate smaller sounds in words.
Part of this includes the ability to hear and create rhymes, to say words with sounds or with sections left out and the ability to put two-word sections together to make a word. Most children who have difficulty in decoding written words — the “sounding out” phase of learning to read — have trouble with this.
Fun ways to learn phonological awareness:
- Make up silly words by changing the first sound in a word: milk, nilk, pilk, rilk, filk.
- Say words with a pause between the syllables (“rab” and “bit”) and have your child guess what word you are saying.
- Read stories with poems, rhymes or different sounds to your child.
- Sing songs and repeat them. Most songs break words up into one syllable per note. (ex. “Mary Had a Little Lamb”; “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”, etc.)
- Pick a sound for the day. Notice it at the beginning of words and at the end of words.
- Play with a word from a storybook: What rhymes with it? What words start with the same sound, etc?
Onsite Help/Ask a Techspert - Utica
10:00 AM @ Utica (Hervey Memorial)
Do you have a question about technology? Drop by or schedule an appointment about your laptop, smartphone, tablet, Kindle, software or other technology needs. Call 740.349.5509 today!
FREE Tax Preparation
12:30 PM @ Downtown Newark - Meeting Room A
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program uses IRS-certified volunteers to prepare and e-file federal, state and school district tax returns for income-eligible citizens, at no cost to them. ...
3:30 PM @ Bookmobile
Reddington Condos 3:30-4:00Eden Community Center 4:30-5:00Shalimar 5:15-5:45Marne 6:00-6:30
Parent Table Talk Series: Communication Stategies for Parents of Teens
5:30 PM @ Downtown Newark - Lower Level Story Time Room
LCL is thrilled to partner with Nationwide Children's Hospital to bring one of their PREP workshops on helping parents of teens better communicate. The Personal Responsibility Education Program (PREP)...
AARP Tax Assistance - Johnstown
10:00 AM @ Johnstown (Mary E. Babcock)
AARP professionally trained volunteers to prepare federal, state and local tax returns for low and middle-income taxpayers, with special attention to those sixty and older. You need to bring a photo I...