Print Awareness is noticing print everywhere, knowing how to handle a book, knowing that writing in English follows basic rules such as flowing from top-to-bottom and left-to-right, and that the print on the page is what is being read (not the pictures).
An example of print awareness is a child's ability to point to the words on the page of a book.
Fun ways to learn print awareness:
- Point out and read words everywhere you see them (on signs, labels, stores, products, etc.).
- Read books that your child can handle on their own such as board books. Let them turn the pages as you read.
- Point to the words as you read—especially repeated phrases or the title of the book.
- Ask your child to point to the first word on the page.
- Mention the parts of a book as you read. “Look at this cover! This book must be about elephants!” “The End … that’s the last page of the book.”
Preschool Story Time
10:00 AM @ Downtown Newark - Lower Level Story Time Room
Read engaging books, sing songs, and participate in early literacy activities designed especially for your preschooler.
Family Make and Take
10:00 AM @ West Newark (Emerson R. Miller)
Imagine, create and participate! Children engage in a variety of hands-on activities that include making fun, seasonal crafts, exploring STEAM activities, and/or creating one-of-a-kind masterpieces.
Email Basics - Google Gmail
10:30 AM @ Downtown Newark - Upper Level Conference Room
Learn the basics of email using Google Gmail on both laptop and desktop computers and mobile devices. Explore the ins and outs of creating, reading, replying, forwarding, CC/BCC, attachments, signatur...
Family Story Time - Hebron Branch
10:30 AM @ Hebron
Enjoy stories, songs and activities for the whole family.
Little Tot's Story Time
11:00 AM @ Johnstown (Mary E. Babcock)
Bring your little one for a fun morning of stories, songs and socializing! This story time caters to kids with short attention spans.