Print Awareness is noticing print everywhere, knowing how to handle a book, knowing that writing in English follows basic rules such as flowing from top-to-bottom and left-to-right, and that the print on the page is what is being read (not the pictures).
An example of print awareness is a child's ability to point to the words on the page of a book.
Fun ways to learn print awareness:
- Point out and read words everywhere you see them (on signs, labels, stores, products, etc.).
- Read books that your child can handle on their own such as board books. Let them turn the pages as you read.
- Point to the words as you read—especially repeated phrases or the title of the book.
- Ask your child to point to the first word on the page.
- Mention the parts of a book as you read. “Look at this cover! This book must be about elephants!” “The End … that’s the last page of the book.”
Onsite Help/Ask a Techspert - Utica
10:00 AM @ Utica (Hervey Memorial)
Do you have a question about technology? Drop by or schedule an appointment about your laptop, smartphone, tablet, Kindle, software or other technology needs. Call 740.349.5509 today!
FREE Tax Preparation
12:30 PM @ Downtown Newark - Meeting Room A
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program uses IRS-certified volunteers to prepare and e-file federal, state and school district tax returns for income-eligible citizens, at no cost to them. ...
3:30 PM @ Bookmobile
Reddington Condos 3:30-4:00Eden Community Center 4:30-5:00Shalimar 5:15-5:45Marne 6:00-6:30
Parent Table Talk Series: Communication Stategies for Parents of Teens
5:30 PM @ Downtown Newark - Lower Level Story Time Room
LCL is thrilled to partner with Nationwide Children's Hospital to bring one of their PREP workshops on helping parents of teens better communicate. The Personal Responsibility Education Program (PREP)...
AARP Tax Assistance - Johnstown
10:00 AM @ Johnstown (Mary E. Babcock)
AARP professionally trained volunteers to prepare federal, state and local tax returns for low and middle-income taxpayers, with special attention to those sixty and older. You need to bring a photo I...