Print Motivation is a child's interest in and enjoyment of books. A child with strong print motivation enjoys being read to, plays with books, pretends to write and asks to be read to.
Children who enjoy books and reading will be curious about reading and motivated to learn to read for themselves. Encourage print motivation in your child by making shared book reading a special time, keeping books accessible and letting your child see that you enjoy reading.
Fun ways to learn print motivation:
- Use funny voices and gestures while reading with your child.
- Stop (or shift gears) when it is no longer fun. Length of time is not important. Having fun is!
- Have a comfortable area to share reading time together.
- Read while your child is playing with blocks, cars, puzzles, etc.—they’ll still be soaking up all that rich language while keeping their hands busy!
- Trips to the library are fun, motivational and FREE!
Preschool Story Time
10:00 AM @ Downtown Newark - Lower Level Story Time Room
Read engaging books, sing songs, and participate in early literacy activities designed especially for your preschooler.
Family Make and Take
10:00 AM @ West Newark (Emerson R. Miller)
Imagine, create and participate! Children engage in a variety of hands-on activities that include making fun, seasonal crafts, exploring STEAM activities, and/or creating one-of-a-kind masterpieces.
Email Basics - Google Gmail
10:30 AM @ Downtown Newark - Upper Level Conference Room
Learn the basics of email using Google Gmail on both laptop and desktop computers and mobile devices. Explore the ins and outs of creating, reading, replying, forwarding, CC/BCC, attachments, signatur...
Family Story Time - Hebron Branch
10:30 AM @ Hebron
Enjoy stories, songs and activities for the whole family.
Little Tot's Story Time
11:00 AM @ Johnstown (Mary E. Babcock)
Bring your little one for a fun morning of stories, songs and socializing! This story time caters to kids with short attention spans.